Persecution in America! Is Fake!
The Christian Anti-Defamation Commission released a list of ”the top ten incidents of anti-Christian defamation, bigotry and discrimination in the US from last year.” By now, it’s clear that I don’t see eye-to-eye with Christian doctrine, but this goes beyond that. The Christian worldview, at least as exemplified by these myopic hacks, distorts reality almost beyond recognition.
Their list appears in block quotes; my commentary follows each item. I have not edited the list.
10. Pro-life Pastor Reverend Walter Hoye of Oakland, was jailed for exercising peaceful, pro-life speech.
Hoye violated a city ordinance that established an 8-foot boundary around people entering and exiting abortion clinics. Time, place and manner restrictions are well-established, entirely Constitutional limits on where, when, and how free speech can be delivered. In this case, the restriction simply prevented him from getting right in women’s faces as they entered medical clinics. Furthermore, Hoye was offered alternatives to jail, but he rejected them in protest of the reasonable restrictions by which we all must abide. Of course, the top 10 list didn’t mention any of the facts behind the story; they create the impression of a guy just doing his thing and getting thrown in the hoosegow willy nilly.
Proceeding through the list, you’ll notice a pattern of omitted facts. Apparently, the CADC doesn’t understand that stripping every hint of culpability from the Christians in their stories arouses suspicion in the reader. They are counting on us not saying, “can that really be true? Let me see for myself.” It’s contemptuous of the audience and highly dishonest.
Think about the innocent Mr. Hoye. His defense was that being forced to stand 8 feet away from another person restricted his free speech. Have you ever stood 8 feet away from someone? Did it pose a substantial limitation on your ability to speak? Perhaps, like Mr. Hoye, you prefer to speak with people while standing right in their fucking faces. As long as they’re not walking into abortion clinics in Oakland, you’re fine.
9. Rev. Fred Winters was murdered while preaching in his pulpit in Maryville, Illinois.
A deplorable act, but the act of a psycho gunman.
8. HBO’s program “Curb Your Enthusiasm” aired an episode where the main actor urinates on painting of Jesus. When confronted HBO would not apologize.
They have a point here. A painting of their idol was belittled.
7. The overt homosexual participation in Obama’s presidential inaugural events by “Bishop” Vickie Eugene Robinson, the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington D. C., and a homosexual marching band.
This may be the most telling entry on their list. They deem the participation of homosexuals in a national event to be an act of “defamation, bigotry, [or] discrimination” against Christians. That is cunty intolerance in the first degree. They talk about “overt homosexual participation;” I don’t know what makes the sexuality of the participation overt, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it did not involve sodomy, or even Frenching, on the National Mall.
This looks to me like they are seriously claiming that the participation of out gays is “defamation, bigotry, [or] discrimination.” I guess the shameless faggots should jump back into the closet.
6. Police called to East Jessamine Middle School in Lexington, Kentucky to stop 8th graders from praying during their lunch break for a student whose mother was tragically killed.
Yet again, this would be an outrage if it were true. Cops weren’t called. The kids were not targeted for praying, but for stretching their prayer time past the end of the lunch period, skipping class en masse. Now think about this. If police were called to a school in Kentucky to stop kids from praying, don’t you think the local news would be all over the story? This is Kentucky, not some pagan stronghold like Larchmont, New York. Now search “east jessamine school prayer”; throw in “police” if you’d like. Good luck finding primary media results (notice that the link I included provides the details I mentioned in the comments. This story’s web profile is almost nil.)
You can’t even take their word for it, as the list repeatedly demonstrates CADC’s willingness to play fast and loose with the facts.
5. Pro-life activist Jim Pullion was murdered in front of his granddaughter’s high school for showing the truth about abortion.
Again, a deplorable act perpetrated by a lone nut. Terrible? Yes. Persecution? Not really. It doesn’t excuse his murder in the slightest, but what was this guy doing protesting abortion in front of a high school? This video shows Pullion’s style of protesting; he was one of those people you see with enormous photos of mangled fetuses. Don’t high school students have enough to worry about while they ARE IN SCHOOL without being distracted by mangled fetuses? Again, his murder was an evil act, and Pullion’s choice to exercise his right cannot be seen as a provocaton to his own murder, but this guy’s choices were absurd.
4. An activist judge ordered a home school mom in New Hampshire to stop home schooling her daughter because the little girl “reflected too strongly” her mother’s Christian faith.
OUTRAGE! Oh, wait. It would be an OUTRAGE if it were true. It turns out that the girl’s parents are divorced, and they had different priorities for her education. Her father showed both a guardian ad litem and the court that the girl would be better served by a typical educational experience than by home schooling. While the mother’s desires were contradicted by the court order, this is only because the father, an impartial court-appointed attorney, and the court agreed on the issue.
So this is a case of the system working against the mother who happened to be Christian. CADC didn’t feel the need to report that this was a case in which the mother’s wishes contradicted the father’s. They reported the story they wanted to report: an evil court arbitrarily stole parental rights from a woman for the crime of being Christian. Look! It was even an “activist judge!” The narrative as provided doesn’t even imply the rest of the facts. These people are really dishonest.
3. The Federal Department of Homeland Security issued a report entitled “Rightwing (sic) Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate” that labeled conservative Christians extremists and potential terrorists.
With a little tweaking, this entry would be more precise; the report labeled conservative Christian extremists as potential terrorists. It didn’t say that all conservative Christians are dangerous. Just the dangerous ones. Does the CADC deny the existence of the Christian Identity movement? Didn’t a conservative Christian extremist kill George Tiller?
2. President Obama’s appointment of radical anti-Christians like homosexual activist Kevin Jennings as the “safe school czar;” pro-abortion advocate Kathleen Seblius (sic) made Secretary of Human and Health Services, and Chai Feldblum, pro-homosexual and anti-religious liberty judge nominated for Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Bullshit spin. Outright. The articles I linked to deal with Feldblum and Jennings. As for Sebelius being pro-choice? Perhaps someone should explain to CADC that in a democracy, the loser doesn’t get to have his way. Sorry, losers.
1. The Federal Hate Crimes Bill that attacks religious liberty and freedom of speech. For the first time in our history ministers are vulnerable to investigation and prosecution for telling the truth about homosexuality.
I disagree with maintaining a special hate crime category. I think crime sucks, regardless of the motivation. That said, the federal bill does not do what these fucking inbreds say it does. It makes crimes punishable by stiffer penalties if they are motivated by hatred. Its effect on freedom of speech is this: If you scream “die, nigger” while beating up an African-American, you face worse punishment. If you scream “die, faggot” while beating up a homosexual, you face worse punishment. This has jack shit to do with Christianity.
So there you go. Out of 10 entries, 3 are legit. Take away the 2 freak murders, and we’re left with Larry David pissing on Jesus. That can’t be worse blasphemy than the lies, spin, and half-truths these fuckers have put out in Jesus’ name. And this from the people who would deny gays a civil right. Fuck civil rights, these assholes would deny gays the opportunity to form a marching band and chorus! The truth would make a wonderful corrective lens for this distorted worldview.